The launch of my paintings on the Society6 store was very exciting. For those of you who have not heard about society6 I strongly encourage you to check it out as it is a fantastic website. It is full of artists and creatives expressing and sharing their work with the world.
Being able to produce Society6 prints was the main reason I wanted to join the program however they sell a huge range of things from iPhone cases, laptop stickers, giclee prints, bags, clocks and even pillows. The whole concept they have come up with is really interesting, and I will explain the process below!
It basically works like this….
An artist creates an original work
– > Artist then photographs their work with a high quality camera to ensure the prints are good quality
– > Artist then uploads the images to the correct dimensions for their products (giclee prints, iPhone cases, pillows and more)
– > These products are then on show for anyone with internet access to browse and purchase as gifts, personal use etc
– > Example – someone may purchase a Society6 print
– > The guys over at Society6 then print the product on their huge printing factories (awesome video, click the link)
– > After quality checks it is then sent out to the customer.
It is incredible how easy it has become to send your personal artworks around the world. Of course the prints and other products are not as valuable as the originals however there is a price point for everyone and I would rather everyone have the opportunity to enjoy my artworks!
There are also some discount codes floating around the internet that you can get 15% off so check out retailmenot to see if they have any available at the moment.
Here are a few more examples!
On the other hand I can understand how some people are against this sort of production, as it does effect small businesses and art galleries/stores who now need to compete with companies such as this. I do agree that it takes away from the community feel however it does open up the artist to new opportunities to share their work with people they may not have been able to reach before.
This is a very interesting topic and I would love to hear your opinions on this, please share this post with anyone else who may have something to say about this topic!